Trip to the ER

I lay in the hospital bed with my phone, laptop, a bottle of water, and a beautiful bouquet of flowers next to me. Nurses come in to check on me, to transport me, even to take me to the bathroom. I am used to doing things for myself- I am a very independent person, but I suppose I should just be content with being taken care of while I am here. They keep telling me not to worry, that it is their job. Nevertheless, I greet everyone with a big smile and a friendly conversation. This may not seem like your typical hospital patient’s attitude, but I feel no reason to act any different because of my situation. The man in the room across the hall from me is yelling at the nurses telling them he is getting out of his bed. Truth is he only has one leg and is supposed to be on bed rest. The nurses come in tired of being cursed at but still put on their best face for me. I want to make their day just a little bit easier by putting my best face on for them!

So, why am I in the hospital? I am still wondering this myself. We don’t have all the answers yet. Yesterday afternoon, our team started our typical Monday practice on the courts. I had only begun to warm up hitting for about 4 minutes when I realized that my fourth finger on my right (dominant) hand was losing color. Soon enough, it was numb and completely white. I immediately ran over to my trainer who played with it to get some blood pumping and revived its color. After it returned to normal conditions, I went back to hitting and it was only a matter of minutes before it came back with a vengeance. We knew this lack of blood flow was not normal, so I called it quits on practice and any physical activity for the rest of the day. The athletic doctors checked it out and said I would be in to see the vascular surgeon first thing in the morning. I went home and a few hours later, I had lost all feeling in the top of my finger. The feeling was not coming back even an hour later. They decided to take me to the ER and start me on blood thinners, and this is where I have been since 10pm last night.

A look at my finger during practice Monday afternoon

Now we sit here playing the waiting game. I am anxious to know what is going on with the circulation to my finger, but regardless of the news, I will try my best to remain positive. My head thinks back to the priest’s homily at mass on Sunday. He said, “Attitude takes you farther than skill and knowledge can take you.” I believe that there is no other way to handle so many questions and unknown answers regarding my health than to do it with a positive attitude. Just as the nurses bring a positive light to the room every time I have to bug them to use the restroom or to check my vitals, I will bring a positive attitude to make their day better and to make the best of my situation!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s